Thursday, May 29, 2008

Revisions and more revisions

For the past week or so, I've been diligently working on my personal statement and studying for the MCAT. Truth be told, wriitng a personal statment isn't a big problem. Trying to compress your success and struggles in only 5300 words, is a HUGE problem especially when you have so much to say. So with help with all this, I met with my primary mentor, a married mother of 5 who is also the first MD/PhD I'd ever met. Imagine that, I was in my late 30's before I met a woman who looked like me (literally, I could be her daughter) and did what I aspired to do. So it probably goes without saying that having her in my life is without a doubt phenomenal. With that said, I'd encourage anyone reading my blog, no matter where you are in your career, to find a good mentor.

Anyhoo, she's the ONLY source for proofing my statement I have on this because I've learned that "too many cooks in the kitchen isn't a good thing". But in talking to her I've also became aware of some other things I need to be thinking about for example, have I really thought about the impact relocating my family is going to have? I'm a strong believer in pursing ones passions but you must also consider the impact on those around you as well. The other thing I realized is that it's a risky proposition to apply to med school with an average MCAT score because not all schools are willing to wait until the new scores come in. In other words, if I apply early will all the schools be willing to hold onto my application until my scores arrive in early August? Perhaps, but should I risk it? Luckily, I have very strong relationships with most of the schools on my list so this may work out for me in the end. Worst case scenario is that I'd just apply early to those schools who are willing to wait and then after I get my scores, add the others.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment