Friday, April 24, 2009

Message from a "friend"


So I have a close personal "friend" who recently had their medical school aspirations shot down like a bird in winter as they say, and I think it's something EVERY nontraditional student needs to consider, particularly when applying to MD programs.

My "friend" told me the story of meeting with an adcom to discuss thier rejected application to an MD program. My "friend" told me that a good portion of the conversation was spent with this particular adcom talking about their own troubles with finishing medical school, namely that this adcom had been kicked out of medical school many years ago. This person talked about their career after medical school, while simultaneouly trying to convince my "friend" that they too would perhaps better off considering careers other than as a Physician.

I told my "friend" that if I had a dollar for every time someone discouraged me I'd be a rich woman and that sometimes you have to work extra hard not to let the life disappointments of others become your own. OTOH, I have to expect that most people won' tunderstand why I passed on medical school many years ago no matter how compelling my reasoning was. At the end of the day, you also to work extra hard to stay true to your own truth especially when dealing with people who aren't as positive as you'd like them to be. Basically, you have to know when to listen and when to tune out and keep pressing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment