Sunday, November 8, 2009

30 hour day?

It occurred to me this morning that for only the second time in my professional/academic life, I'm exhausted doing something I really love! The other time was when I was enrolled in med school courses full-time. Of course the problem is that many things, like household chores fall by the way side which has me thinking about hiring someone to do some basic cleaning. And that could work except the idea of someone cleaning my sink with the same cloth used to wipe down the toilet seat is enough to put that idea to rest, LOL!!!

This past week I had my second "challenge" since I was appointed director and with every "challenge" I realize that my "skills" are greatly improving. Of course, this little lesson cost me many, many hours of work and almost $700 in fees but luckily, my supervisor was pretty cool about things. And I will NOT be "played" on this particular issue again, especially not by a graduate student. The net result was that we had to amend how we do business because trying to get over isn't lost on highly educated, smart people (which I should have already known). But to get played the way I did by a Black woman makes me far more angry than I would normally be. No, I'm not really playing the race card here, but the fact is that there are too few Black women in medical science/research, so to see one be flippant about using people is pretty sad. Me, I try not to burn bridges because I say you never know who you may end up working for, but this young chick doesn't get that........yet. Chances are very good she's going to need our services again, but I suspect she'll look to an outside group to do it for her. If she brings us more work in the future, I'll do it of course as I'm not one to turn down income for my group, but she'll need to sign off on EVERYTHING before I do ANYTHING again.

Moving on, I think it's safe to say that my MCAT studying is going to have to be put off until next Spring. I simply don't have the energy or time to put in 100% effort with an already tight schedule. In fact, I'm wondering how I'm going to get through what I do need to do this semester because some days, I just wish there were more hours in the day. Especially on the weekends, LOL!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment