Sunday, March 27, 2011

???????????

So the title of this post is question mark because just couldn't think of a name, LOL!!! And really, not a lot has happened since I last posted anyway............

My interview situation was a little disappointing as I learned that my former prof decided to hire someone not long before he knew I was interested and that's just as well because a 30K cut in pay combined with a hellified commute and parking situation on campus probably means that situation worked out just the way it should have. I did have a phone interview with yet another Gov't contractor the difference being that this company is listed as one of the best places to work for in the US and in metro DC, and the salary range is between 100K to 130K!! Daayyyuuummm, I was like $hit sign me up, especially given all the perks of this gig including working from home 3 days/week and too many other things to list! Of course, if this were August 2011 when I would be close to being done with my Java programming course and completely done with my Intro to Bioinformatics and R for Stats course, I'd probably be talking about a start date instead of telling you that I think they're holding out on bringing me in for an in person interview because they want to see if there's anyone out here with more experience. No problemo, that works for me since if I did start anytime in the near future my MCAT studying will be instantly back-burnered so I could get my ducks in a row for this new gig. Yep, here we go with that again, LOL!!!

The thing is and I don't know how to really articulate where I am with this taking the MCAT/applying to med school thing, but I have a consistency with my studying that I haven't had in years!! And if I'm being completely honest with myself, I see the years between 2001 to say 2009 as my "in a serious funk that led to brain fog" mode since in a lot of ways, I feel like I wasted a LOT of time in getting toward my goal of finishing med school. However, when I really ask myself what was holding me back, I need only look in my nearest mirror for the answer. Now I'm no Psychiatrist, but I think it was the death of my grandmother and father within 6 months of each other that significantly contributed to getting me "to the walking in place way of living", illness/2 surgeries, and a "challenging" marriage with a kid struggling in school was simply the icing on the cake, so to speak.

But when I really think about it in the context of all the "normal" stuff that happens when you live this thing called life, I conclude that it simply wasn't my time, that I needed to come to terms with all the personal losses I've had over the last 10 years, get VERY focused, and make the most of what I've been so very blessed with moving forward. And that is easier said than done!

Opps don't know how I forgot to mention that in light of my "semi-retired" status LOL, I've decided to increase my hours volunteering for the Komen Foundation and I have 2 events next week! I really love doing these events but I'm such a big baby and often end up tearing up at some point when I think of all the people I know who died from cancer or when I see survivors whom I can almost look at and tell where they are in their recovery. So these outings end up being a mixed bag for me but I continue to do it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment