Thursday, June 13, 2013

Got get it!!!!

“Yo Faith ain't never small that's what brought you this far
See you got your dreams and you got your prayers and you got
Yo God he gone take you there, See everybody has a season and I believe
this one's yours Cuz you been workin, waitin, this what you been prayin for”

* Excerpt from the gospel group Mary Mary’s release “Go get it”


URGH! That’s the way this post is going to start and the reason is an excerpt from an email I got yesterday:

“Kimberly, I want to personally reach out to you to let you know that you’re one of our top candidates (for our computer bootcamp)and that we’re looking forward to you completing the second part of the application.”

Now obviously under normal circumstances, a letter like this would be a VERY good thing but today, I’m just thoroughly C-O-N-F-U-S-E-D!!!! But should I be?

When I look back over my life over the past 5 or so years where my own goals and dreams took a deliberate back seat, I see a LOT of stagnation, as in a fear to step out of my “norm” and do something different. So while I have a VERY good idea about how my interests in computer programming/informatics can be directly tied to my patient care goals, I have a difficult time “seeing” how this can work from where I am right now. Some of this is because I haven’t found the right mentors in the field yet ie Physician-Scientists who are also interested in Informatics, but some of it's because I was kinda waiting until I got to the major cancer center to seek some folks out. But perhaps I need to do this NOW before I even get there.

I’m a STRONG believer that little in life happens by coincidence so I’m pretty clear that I’m supposed to follow through on my application to this programming “bootcamp”. And I’m also clear that my med school/MCAT goals don’t have to be put aside if I’m accepted because: 1) I already have a good score to apply to med school with, 2) I’m not applying to med school until summer 2015, so I could take the test in Jan 2014 if I couldn’t do it in Sept, and 3) A 2 week delay before I start my gig at the major cancer center probably won’t be a big deal to my future PI.

So while the details of the next big blessing in my life aren’t clear to me just yet, I KNOW it’s there so I’m going to put fear aside and go get ‘em!



No comments:

Post a Comment