Friday, June 26, 2009

The passing of a legend



I'm known among people close to me as a bit of a cry baby and I have to admit that when I learned of Mj's passing, I did indeed cry. The first concernt I ever attend was seeing the Jaskcon Five in 1972 at what was called the Cow Palace in Northern Cali where I was living at the time. It's also the only concert I ever attended with my Father so it has very special meaning to me. I was six years old.

The picture above is the Michael Jackson I most think about because when I saw it, I decided that I wanted to marry him when I grew up. Of course, by the time I became an adult MJ had started to take a turn for the strange but I maintained a love of his music nonetheless.

Music from the Jackson family, MJ in particular, brings about very distinct memories from my past. My father sang "I'll be there" when my parents were divorcing and I asked him when I would see him again as a 10 year old. When I was a roller skater in middle school, I skated to "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" in competitions. I had my first french kiss to Human Nature and Thriller was my album of the year my senior year in high school. When I tried for 3 years straight to break the color barrior on the University of Florida's majorette squad and failed, and went on to co-found and became the first captian of the first dance squad at UF, Smooth Criminal was the audition piece. And I could go on and on and on......

Needless to say, MJ's music has been a big and consistent part of my life for as long as I can remember and the fact that this talented dancer, writer, singer, and overall entertainer is gone is a complete shock. So much so that I couldn't fall asleep until 4:00AM this morning. But when my alarm clock went off at 6:45AM, I awakened as if I had gotten a full night's sleep and I did so because as tragic as MJ's death is, life still goes on. So I decided to think about all the ways my life is blessed and focus on living the best life I can..........while keeping MJ's music blaring from my car, home, and iTouch for many years to come.

May the King of ALL music, FINALLY find some peace in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment