Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Is my "slip" showing?


So according to rumors, the dreaded pink slips go out tomorrow ahead of the "survivors meeting" my company is holding on Friday. And if there were EVER a time I was longing to be in the "uncertain" world of grant applications and academia it's now because at least in academia, you often get a few months leeway before the financial bottom drops out. What I can say is that IF I survive this round of layoffs, I won't stick around to experience the next set which is supposed to happen in March, performance review time. Honestly, I don't see how ANYONE works like this but I guess millions of people like it and do it everyday! And the idea that all this is related to stock prices makes me want to throw up. Yeah, lets just throw a couple hundred peoples financial situation into a hell hole to keep our investors happy. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it, the world is all about the bottom line/the almighty dollar these days!!! Still, it seems a rather callous process at the end of the day!

So at this point I think it's safe to say that I've learned all the professional lessons I feel I needed to learn at this company to the point where I just want to get the hell out ASAP, even if it does involve a drop in pay. Peace of mind will NEVER have a price and it's a sentiment I haven't experienced since I finished my Master's thesis 4 years ago. And 4 years is a hellva' long time to go without having professional peace of mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment