Friday, April 27, 2012

A true INTJ


I imagine that by a certain age, say 30 or so, everyone has done a personality test. And the one I chose to do recently was by a man I came to know first as a Philosophy/Religion major, Carl Jung. I actually took this test over ten years ago and after taking it again, my "score" was the same as it was when I first took the test, INTJ.

Here's a little of how INJT's are characterized:

1) This self confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific
rather than a general nature... Oops, LOL!!

2) When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several --they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how.

3) INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest.

4) In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia).

5) Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project.
Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers.

This last one explains pretty well why I've consistently had such a difficult time working in big Pharma and why I'll need to seriously reel this trait in before 3rd year of med school. The thing is I realize that *I* am the commonality in my "challenging" experiences working in industry, so therefore, *I* am both the "challenge" and solution. When it comes to respecting others, basic courtesy and respect is no problem (I AM truly Southern). But I find it extremely difficult to not communicate with a tone of disdain when a person has shown themselves to be unethical, unprofessional, and/or just plain ignorant of what their supposed to know. And I don't mean that in a "I'm smarter than you" kinda way. What I'm referring to are people who either pretend to know what they're talking about when they don't or who get angry at you for knowing what you're supposed to know and yeah, I see that pretty regularly at my current workplace. As an example, imagine you're at your Supv's house having dinner and you eat something that tastes like crap. I'm the person that when you ask me how it tastes will say something like "it's different" while putting on the best fake smile I can (and which will unfortunately probably be read as fake, LOL), instead of what I think most people would say "wow, that's yummy, the best I EVER had". In other words, I'm NOT gonna lie, compromise my integrity, ect under ANY circumstances, LOL!!!

But this trait is also part of why I think I'd be SUPER as a Doc working in underserved communities, I'm personable and kind, but I "keeps it real" when it's time when it's time for business. Which reminds me of my time as a volunteer at a rural clinic as an undergraduate, everyone would always give the difficult patients to me, the ones who would talk smack when you asked them to get on the scale to get their weights or take their blood pressure. And I've always thought that was kinda funny because I don't necessarily look like a person that speaks her mind, but boy when I open my mouth especially about folks following their doctor's orders, watch out 'dere now, ROTFLMBO!!!!

Anyway the impetus for all this self-evaluation came from a post on the blog of the Grady Doctor (see sidebar) where she talked about occasionally having feelings of insecurities about her TREMENDOUS success ( I STILL find it hard to believe). And I talked about not really having those kinds of feelings to any great degree over the course of my life thus far. You see, when you flunk out of undergrad, are told you're never going to be a Scientist/Physician before your first test in general chemistry by your Chemistry prof as a freshman, you learn VERY early that insecurity and negativity on ANY level is a BIG dream killer! In other words, the time immediately after getting kicked out of school gives you a lifetime of insecure thoughts so much so that you just run out!!!

So for me, it has NEVER been about "if" med school, it's ALWAYS been "when" even after I was expelled from college. And since I'm NOT talking about winning the slam dunk contest next year in the NBA, I'm confident my goals are within my reach!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment