Thursday, August 30, 2012

What language do YOU speak?


I'm usually pretty excited when the first day of class comes around. But this time around, I was actually pretty nervous and I have NO idea why. Luckily for me, 5 minutes in, and I was settled in and ready to go!

So, I'm taking a programming course called Python this fall and while I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying the class so far, I'm wondering why in the hell the creators of this program named it Python, as in one of the meanest snakes on the planet! And I looked into photos of pythons to use as the image for this post, but since I really HATE snakes, I decided against using one after viewing a few.

Turns out that my husband's suggestion for a course sequence in Bioinformatics was right on the money, his advice being that I start with Java which I did last Spring/Summer. And while I "*itched and moaned" about it at first, having started with the computer program from hell was a master stroke!! EVERY computer language I've come across since then has been relatively easy with the exception being Perl, which wasn't so much difficult as I think it's tedious for NO good reason!

In not so great news, I learned that the funding on my position would be on hold which brings to mind the "challenges" of working with a faculty member who doesn't have tenure yet. However, I've got some other funding possibilities lined up, the main issue with one of those being that it would take until around Jan 1 to go into effect. Not to worry, there may be a TA position that I could fill for this semester until one of the other funding sources comes through.

Anyhoo, I'd better get back to work, I've got a program for class due next Tuesday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment