Monday, October 15, 2012

Not THAT again and chocolate f**king fountains

Last week I attended a Biomedical Informatics Symposium held at a local university and I probably don't need to say that I had a great time! And now seems to be the exact right time to have an interest in both medicine and Biomedical Informatics and it;s kinda nice because I'm doing the Biomedical Informatics stuff before med school.

Anyhoo, there were lots of different speakers but of course, the ones who most grabbed my attention were the ones who were MD's trained in the field. And much to my NON surprise, the talk that interested me the most was from a board certified , wait for it......., Pathologist! Now my very first thought was "here we go again", the field of Pathology creeping up into my future after I was reasonably sure that patient care would be it for me! Still, I have no immediate intention of changing my focus from care of the underserved at at academic institution, but the reason I haven't removed my interest in the field from my blog bio is because there's still a possibility I may go in the Pathology direction instead.

Last week was also when I realized how exhausting my schedule is, with me travelling between 3 states (DC, VA, and MD) on a regular basis during the week. But despite the driving and quite frankly the cost of driving, I wouldn't trade if for the misery that was working in big pharma for anything in the world!!

So with homecoming just around the corner at my daughter's high school, imagine my surprise when she came home with the following announcement of a party being held by the "cool kids" at her school. Here it is below, and I think it speaks for itself:

Now I'd like to think that I'm a pretty cool Mom, but THIS is pushing it even for me! Anyone who remembers my blog about the "broweeds" being passed around school a couple years back (that's slang for a brownie with something "special" in it) probably isn't be surprised that the "author" of this announcement was also the "passer" of the broweed too. And all of this is yet another reminder that kids in the 'hood ain't got 'ish on kids in the 'burbs when it comes to stuff like this (and I was SOOOOO tempted to use that "other" "S" word!!!).

All that said, when I originally read the "memo", I read it the absolute wrong way, interpreting that first line as 3 individual words instead of one sentence which REALLY set me off the deep end because the meaning is significantly changed! And I was ready to start calling some parents on it until I took a deep breath and calmed down a bit.

At any rate, I probably don't need to tell you that my kid will NOT be attending the party with the chocolate f**king fountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment