Monday, May 20, 2013

THIS is how you celebrate graduation from med school!



Well, we're neck deep packing for our move and right now I'm just THROUGHLY exhausted! I have a habit of moving boxes with my legs which indirectly involves my knees. And THAT means that my knees are KILLING ME right now!!!!! URGH!!!! I'm trying to do as much as I can before the movers come so I don't ripped off like I did the last time we moved!

I haven't done much in the way of ANY kind of work and that's because packing IS my job right now. I did some MCAT Physics and added Chemistry just for fun, and scored double digits in both. And speaking of MCAT, I think I'm going to refrain from mentioning my scores in the future because it's starting to sound a little like bragging since I always score in the double digits. And quite frankly I should be scoring in that range since I tutor MCAT students. But what I am going to do is drop some knowledge on what has made such a HUGE difference in my scores now versus 21 years ago.

So here's tid bit #1: Read the answers BEFORE reading the question stem, and "unofficially" answer the questions you think are correct. By "unofficially" answering the question I mean to place a little dot with your pencil next to what you think the correct answer is. Then read the passage to answer the remaining questions.

Now I strongly believe that if you can't answer half of the questions on ANY section of the test without reading the paragraph first, then you need to work on your reading comprehension for verbal and/or your basic knowledge base for the science sections.

Despite all the packing, I did manage to have some fun this weekend when I attended the med school graduation of a former co-worker's kid and that in and of itself, probably isn't very remarkable since he's a PhD. What is remarkable is that it took this person SEVEN years to finish med school after a series of medical and academic setbacks. And I tell that story because there's a LOT to be said about importance of tenacity and perseverance in achieving ones goals. But there's also a LOT to be said about conquering whatever test taking/MCAT issues you have NOW before your matriculate, because no one knows how the rules for becoming a Doc are going to change in the future.

So with that said, I've never regret the path I've taken to get to this place especially as it relates to mastering standardized test taking. Because not only will this help me in the future, but hopefully, I'll be able to pass on a few helpful tips to others too!

Finally, cupcakes are my absolute favorite sweet to eat and I'm thrilled to say that the medical profession themed cupcakes in this post were VERY tasty! And I'm going to end this post with a shout-out to my girl Dr. T, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, and TRY again!!!:




No comments:

Post a Comment