Thursday, January 21, 2010
A GREAT first full week in class!!!
$hit!!! I typed a 4 paragraph post, then accidentally deleted it!!!! All I have left of that post is the picture of Dengue, the virus I'll be writing a paper on later this semester.
Gimme a couple days to remember what I typed and post it!! URGH!!!!!
This is an abbreviated version of what I typed last night about my week:
1) I found a mentor for my neuropathology project on my job. Turns out being kind to a homeless looking stranger can pay off in ways you'd never imagine.
2) I'm starting to learn to assert myself without being a doormat/ or offensive. This is BIG in any job with authority!
3) I mentored a Hispanic future histotechlogist and may even be able to offer him a job as well. I'm a strong believer in each one, help one, and as a Blanaticasion (that's Black, Native American, and Caucasian) with a Little Latina spice thrown in for flavor courtesy of Trinidad/Spain, my paternal grandfather's homeland, I make sure to do my part to "brown" the research field.
4) I also learned that I have to retake the GRE ASAP!!! This sucks MAJOR booty because one, I HATED the GRE and two, that slows but NOT stops my MCAT prep.
5) Speaking of my PhD, I went to an open house on Tuesday and it went GREAT!!! Unfortunately, the acceptance rate has changed from 80% in 2005 to 30% in 2009, but hey, I'm going to give it a shot anyway!
6) I decided to drop one of my PhD classes because, well, because I'm not trying to kill myself in my last semester before I graduate. So I have two classes, a Neuroscience seminar and my PhD course in Bioterrorism/Emerging Infectious Disease which is the best thing since sliced bread!!!