Saturday, January 29, 2011

Show me what you're working with!!!!!!

"You need to prove to me that you know what you're doing". Path201X's response, "And you need to kiss where the sun don't shine", LOL!!!

There haven't been many times people have stepped to me on the BS tip with such a statement, but it has happened more than it should have and for reasons I'm sure we all could guess outside of being in graduate/professional school. The problem is that as I've gotten older, I've noticed my response to that initial statement is getting, how shall we say, stronger as I get older, ROTFLMBAO!!!!!

Now I didn't really respond that way and never would in a professional setting, but I sure as hell thought it initially. My response was a few words I've edited but suffice it to say, I needed to make real clear that I work with her, not FOR her. And you know I'm sure this is NOT what my mentor had in mind when we talked the other day about me only saying yes, LOL!!!

Here's what I've never tolerated very well in work setting. People dumping their insecurities about themselves on me, people who respond negatively when I suggest an experiment or protocol different from the one they suggested, and proceed to get loud, angry and defensive. And showing an insecure person something they suggested didn't work is suicidal to having a good relationship with them but I still have a job to do. Basically, my attitude is "that's yo' shit, deal with it so we can move this research agenda along". At this point, I'm sure I don't need to mention that the path I work with wasn't real happy with my response and proceeded to pull out her publications, yelling and spouting off about her numerous degrees (she has a PhD along with being a Vet), ect ect, I think you get the picture. Now at this point, I thought to myself if you were all that, your ass would have earned tenure and NOT been fired, but saying so would have been a "jugular vein" moment that could have cost me my job. But it did get me thinking once again, about how I'm going to react when the Nurse who really wanted to be a doctor but couldn't get into med school, steps to me in my third year during my neurology rotation with a similar "I don't think you know shit" attitude/statement. How am I gonna react then, because sassing off at the mouth probably won't get me the above average eval I would have earned. :)

What I do know is that when a person who barely knows you or what you can do comes off this way, your chances of getting them to change their minds is about as good as reverse engineering dog excrement into smelling like roses, it just ain't gonna happen which is why I NEVER waste my time trying. What I did and desperately need to master, is staying focused at ALL times and this is challenging in my current environment with a dirty stinkin' eggplant in the background adding fuel to the fire.

I've said this before, I'm a person who believes that God is in control of everything even when things seem tough, but more than that, every difficulty in life is preparation for something MUCH bigger. And speaking of something MUCH, MUCH bigger, I'm meeting with my main male mentor (the one from my last post) in person next week to discuss both my work and school plan and this is probably just the boot in the arse I need to stay focused on taking the MCAT this year and applying to med school next year. So I think I'm going to go with completing one book/month in the TBR review series in Chem, Orgo, and Physics, mixing in verbal and bio during the month as well and at the end of the month, I'll take a full length MCAT exam. At this pace I shouod be ready to sit for the MCAT by August or September of this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment