Sunday, February 26, 2012

Jumping in head first!!!


So I've decided that despite having NO idea how I'm going to get everything in "order" in my life in the next year, I'm going to apply to med school for the class entering in the Fall of 2013 anyway!!! And I believe that if it's meant to be, God will order my life accordingly so that I can do this!!!

Now I can't say that I had a "burning bush" epiphany, but I will say that going to a Doctor's appointment at the school were I was enrolled for 2 summers in med school, coincidentally running into one person in particular as I was leaving the Deans' and financial aide office, DID give me that final boost! You may remember the ~60+ year old Black woman I blogged about years ago whom I used to work with during one of my lab rotations, and who in another life would have been a star PhD scientist had she grown up in a different time. Well, she's still wearing bad wigs, but her science is still tight, LOL!! So like I said before, I was leaving the financial aid office at this medical school when I ran into her and her first comment to me was, what are you doing here and where's your "white coat"?? I told her that I wasn't in med school but that I had taken the MCAT last year and done well. She let out this BIG exasperated sigh and loudly asked me "well why not"? Then she proceeded to LOUDLY say that I needed to get on it RIGHT NOW because I need to "strike while I was hot" and not to worry about those issues in my personal life that I felt I needed to resolve beforehand. Then she said, "you can always delay your start date if you don't have things where you need them to be by the time classes start". Now why this hadn't occurred to me before I have NO idea but fear of the unknown is at the top of my list. OTOH, I think I'd always subconsciously knew that I would apply this year if for no other reason than because my day gig is getting on my last nerve, LOL!!!!

Of course, this does change things a bit for me in that after I finish my Perl programming course, the Bioinformatics stuff is going to be put on hold so that I will: 1) Have more time to volunteer and 2) Be able to get a second, more medically related gig. I'll also be working more on my personal statement and preparing those transcript request letters.

So as the young kids say these days, LET'S GET IT!!!!!!!


PS- I don't know why the following song came to mind when I finished this post, ROTFLMBBO!!!!

4 comments:

  1. WELL CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M GOING TO (1) SEND HER A NEW WIG AND A THANK YOU CARD! (2) KICK YOUR BUTT INTO FAST FORWARD GEAR. (3) PRAY FOR YOUR SUCCESS IN THE APP PROCESS... BECAUSE AFTER-ALL, YOU ARE MY FAVORITE 'SISTAHFUTUREDR'!!!!!! NOW LET'S GET POPPIN GIRL.... "TIMES A WINDING UP". IN MY GRANDFATHER'S 1940'S VOICE.. "WHAT ALE YOU GAL"??? "YOU BIG MAMA GOT SOME HERBS THAT'LL FIX YA UP JUST FINE"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Maybe running into her was God's way of giving you that nudge you need to apply for 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes you're right, I think I was supposed to run into her because I was in the medical office building, I place she would never "need" to be.

      Delete